Friday, October 15, 2010

Harvest Home

The LORD will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest.
Psalm 85:12


It is by far one of my favorite times of year....fall and harvest. It is the time of year when farmers are busy working all day every day in the fields to get the crops in before the weather turns bad. Growing up on the farm I always remember my mom and dad being on their toes constantly from early morning to late at night! They would go from the barn milking cows, to the field, back to the barn, and then many times back out to the field until it was dark and I was in bed. Thinking about my parents and so many other farmers makes me so proud to be a part of the agricultural industry. Hard-working people, strong values, and pride in their land and animals.

Today the kids and I headed to the farm to play, ride in the combine, and just be a part of this fun time of year. Beans were finished up last night so today was all about cleaning up and switching gears to prepare for corn harvest. I don't know what it is about the combine but it is by far one of my favorite pieces of machinery :).....very powerful and amazing what it can do! After lunch, Cameron and I just sat in the combine and watched as my dad worked on cleaning and tuning up various parts of the combine bean head.

Although they didn't do any actual combining while we were at the farm, Cameron and Wyatt got to ride along with G'pa Don as he drove out to switch from the bean head to the corn head. G'ma Deb, Emmy and I followed on the Gator and were able to spend some time picking up corn cobs that hadn't been picked up during corn silage chopping. It was another glorious sunny day! We've had so many great days in a row (praise God!) Its been perfect for the farmers!

Here are a couple of snapshots I took on my phone today...

G'pa Don and his little helpers in the combine
G'ma Deb with the corn picking crew



No comments:

Post a Comment