Friday, May 14, 2010

Ships Passing in the Night!

WARNING: This blog is going to get mushy at the end!!

The title of this blog if funny to me but for some reason it comes to mind when I think of Matt and me lately. We had a bit of a lull after basketball season (at least a few days) and now I am in full swing of my busy time for work and he is picking up with his wedding photography season. We are extremely blessed to have jobs and talents such as Matt has...I believe we are using the gifts that God has given us! The hard part in that is keeping a balance between our family time and most importantly each other. It seems that the time for just "us" is the easiest thing to give up when there is no time left. More and more I am realizing that this SHOULD NOT BE!!

I've begun to realize that sooner than later our kids are going to grow up and move away :( and hopefully some day...God willing...we may get to retire. Then what!!??? I believe Matt and I will still be walking hand in hand...hopefully smiling...and still happy to be together. I realize that to get to that....it is going to take a lot of love and a lot of work! It scares me when I hear statistics about divorce and couples that have been together for 25 or more years splitting up. For this reason, it is so important to take time for one another, without kids, and just hang out and talk! At a recent gathering of my Monday morning Bible study group a friend made the comment that she has made her priorities as God 1st, husband 2nd, family 3rd, work down the line and so on. It was a good reality check for me! It made me think and has since made me think daily about my priorities. My heart and mind have my priorities in the same order she does however, I still struggle to act according to my priorities...especially in this busy time of year.

I feel so blessed to be married to Matt...my best friend and love of my life. He continually supports me (even when I am crabby!!) and loves me, is an AMAZING and hands-on dad, and works extremely hard to provide for our family.

Here is a part of a song that has become a fast favorite of mine...these are the words I would say to Matt -

On my own I’m only
Half of what I could be
I can’t do without you
We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I could never undo

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you, gave me you.
Gave me you.
- Dave Barnes

I love you Matt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment